Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I've got to start somewhere

Hey-yo. First posts are awkward, so I'm just going to dive straight in. I like to read genre fiction. Mostly science fiction, with a smattering of fantasy and other stuff on the side. I've decided it's time for me to get a bit more systematic about it -- I'd like to refine my ideas about what I like, and what I don't like. I'd like to understand why I like those things. And I'd like to collect in one place my observations about writing, and other little snippets that get me thinking.

I figure if I try to write these things down, then I'll be forced to think about them more critically than I usually do. That's why I'm starting this blog. There's another purpose behind all this, but if it's cool with you I don't really want to talk about it too much at this stage. Mostly for fear of jinxing myself. You can probably guess what it is, though.

So why should you read this? Let's be honest: at this stage, you probably shouldn't bother. There are a gabillion people nattering away on the internet, and many of them will be a lot more insightful and interesting than me. If you do decide to stick around, though, I'd really appreciate your help. I'd love it if you'd call me on it when I'm talking crap. And maybe point out when I've said something that makes sense (if that ever happens). Hopefully you can help me refine my ideas a bit. In return, maybe I'll be able to introduce you to some new stories or authors.

I'm going to try very, very hard to get at least one post up every week. Most of them will be about science fiction and/or writing, but I can't guarantee that I won't occasionally be driven to talk about other stuff. Up first, later this week, my thoughts on why I never quite get Paul McAuley's books.

No comments:

Post a Comment